Friday, October 2, 2015

My First Show


I took on the role of Lady Capulet at the age of 10.
Photo Credit: Dawn Cheuvront

When I was a young girl I developed a knack for performing.

I would always jump up and sing karaoke in front of strangers while on vacation and I couldn't wait to go to music class in elementary school so I could sing my heart out.

When I was in fifth grade, I had the opportunity to audition for an extremely re-written version of a Shakespeare show.  This show was produced every year to give the fifth graders something big to do at the end of the year.

Romeo and Juliet was selected when it was my turn to audition.

I was dying to play Juliet.  Even at the young age of 10, I knew I wanted to be the star.

I'm in the red dress and my little sister is sitting
at my feet. Acting, unfortunately, does not run in the family.
Photo Credit: Dawn Cheuvront
I auditioned and waited days for the cast list to be read aloud by my homeroom teacher.  I never knew that I could be so impatient.

I ended up getting cast as Lady Capulet, but I was still pretty happy.  It was one of the biggest roles in the show next to Juliet and the Nurse, so getting a lead after auditioning for my first show ever was a big deal to me.

I took my part way too seriously.  I overacted and even had a family friend make me a beautiful costume from scratch.  But it didn't matter how good or bad the production was because I thought it was great and of course my parents loved me in it regardless.

In reality, the play was very long and boring and should not be acted out by kids in elementary school.  I learned this hard fact when it was my turn to be an audience member and had to watch my little sister in Macbeth.

Fun Fact: My directors needed flower girls for the wedding scene and my little sister, who was in Kindergarten at the time, was chosen.  That was the first and last time we ever performed together (she plays sports now).

Being a part of this show was the thing that really got me interested in theatre and made me pursue it all throughout middle and high school.  For that, I am eternally grateful.

Break Legs,
Sydney



No comments:

Post a Comment