Thursday, October 8, 2015

5 Roles I'd Like to Play

Even though it's been a while since I have performed in a show, a girl can dream, right?


Stephanie J. Block (Judy), Megan Hilty (Doralee)
and Allison Janney (Violet) starred in the
Broadway production of 9 to 5: The Musical.
Photo Credit: Playbill
5. Judy Bernly/Doralee Rhodes in 9 to 5: The Musical

I have gone back and forth over which character in this fantastic musical I would like to play.  I would like to play Doralee because the role is so iconic after being portrayed by Dolly Parton in the movie.  Plus it would be fun to don a blonde wig again!  I want to play Judy because I feel like she is the closest to my personality and that I can really relate to her.  Also, Judy has a killer song towards the end of the show where she kicks her ex-husband out and then belts her face off.



4. Ariel in The Little Mermaid

Sierra Boggess was the original Ariel on
Broadway.
Photo Credit: Playbill
When I was a little girl, Ariel was my favorite princess.  I thought that she was the most unique princess since she had a tail.  I would watch the movie all the time and I even had a little Ariel rag doll that I could not be without. So it only makes sense that I would love to play her onstage.  How fun would it be to put on a tail and roll around the stage on Heelys?  Also, since I've already played Cinderella in "Into the Woods," I think it is time that I add another princess to my resume!




3. Wendla in Spring Awakening

Lea Michele (Wendla) and Jonathan
Groff (Melchior) starred in the original
production of Spring Awakening
on Broadway.
Photo Credit: Playbill
I have already posted about how absolutely gorgeous this show is, so of course, I want to play a role in it.  I think that the role of Wendla is so complex and really challenges an actress.  She goes through many ups and downs throughout the show, ending with the ultimate down (I won't spoil it!).  Wendla also has some really beautiful songs that I would love to sing.







2. Elle Woods in Legally Blonde: The Musical
Laura Bell Bundy
originated the role of Elle Woods
on Broadway.
Photo Credit: Playbill

I have been obsessed with this musical since seventh grade.  I remember watching the whole show on Youtube because MTV had filmed it.  I knew all the songs and dances and wanted nothing more than to be in it.  When I was a sophomore in high school, that dream came true, when my drama teacher announced that we would be doing the show in the spring.  I ended up getting cast as a Delta Nu, not Elle, but it was still an amazing experience.  I would love a chance to play the smart and
courageous Elle Woods onstage and be a blonde again!


1. Cathy Hyatt in The Last 5 Years

Betsy Wolfe played Cathy
in the revival of The Last Five
Years.
Photo Credit: Boston Theatre Scene
Of course this is my number one role I would like to play!  I have already gushed about how much I love L5Y so I am dying to play this part, even though I will probably have to wait a few more years to be the right age.  I love the simplicity of the show in that there are only two characters so I would really be able to connect with the other actor as well as get a lot of time in the spotlight.  Cathy has some amazing songs and character transitions that would really challenge me but I am up for it!

Break Legs,
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment