![]() |
| The revival of Spring Awakening opened at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre. Photo Credit: Playbill |
One of my favorite musicals of all time has returned for a limited run on the Great White Way. This musical is Spring Awakening. The new and improved production opened Sunday night at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre. To read more about the production, click here.
This production combines English and American Sign Language and stars deaf and hearing actors, giving the audience a completely new experience of this beautiful show.
The musical is an adaptation of Frank Wedekind's play of the same name. It tells the story of young teenagers growing up in 1890's Germany as they make their way through a sexual awakening.
I have been lucky enough to see this show twice, just never on Broadway. The original production opened in 2006 when I was only 10. Spring Awakening is considered racy, with themes of homosexuality, underage sex, and abortion running through it, so I don't think going to see it before I was even a teenager was a good idea.
I did get to see two collegiate productions when I was 16 and instantly fell in love. I cried through the entire second act the first time I saw it. The book and score are both so beautifully written that one cannot help but connect with the characters and feel their joy and sorrow.
Although we live in present times, it is easy to relate to the characters and their struggles and triumphs. We were all young once and remember what it was like to develop a serious crush or to get our first kiss or to fall in love.
This new production closes in January and I am dying to see it. Hopefully I can make my way to New York soon.
Break Legs,
Sydney

No comments:
Post a Comment