But my favorite part is, of course, the performances! I have compiled a list of five of my favorite Tony Awards performances for you.
1) Dreamgirls from the 1982 Tony Awards
Jennifer Holliday. Jennifer Holliday. Jennifer Holliday. She brings down the house with her amazing rendition of "And I Am Telling You (I'm Not Going)." I get chills and tears in my eyes every time she finishes this song and belts to the back of the theater. If you haven't seen this clip, do yourself a favor and check it out, over and over again.
Ever tried to belt your face off after a three-and-a-half-minute long tap dance? I've played Reno and take it from me, it's not easy. But Sutton Foster does it without missing a beat and no visible strain whatsoever. She is the definition of a triple threat and the amazing ensemble in this number only adds to the unbelievable performance.
The best word to describe this show is fun. This performance offers just a taste of the headbanging, heartbreak and hilarity to come. The musical version of the classic Adam Sandler film about a wedding singer who falls in love with a betrothed waitress definitely delivers. Here is Stephen Lynch and the company of The Wedding Singer.
4) Spring Awakening at the 2007 Tony Awards
Looking for an angsty musical about teenagers growing up in 19th century Germany? Here it is. Starring a pre-Glee Lea Michele and pre-Mindhunter Jonathan Groff, the cast delivered a fiery rendition of "Mama Who Bore Me," "The B*tch of Living" and "Totally F*cked," cementing this out-of-the-ordinary musical in Tony Awards history.
5) Rent at the 1996 Tony Awards
One of my favorite musicals of all time is Rent. I get chills just thinking about it and I will always cry. This performance was even more impactful and heart-wrenching because Jonathan Larson, the playwright and composer, was never able to see it. Keep that in mind as you watch this cast and try not to bawl your eyes out.
What are your favorite Tony Awards performances?
Break legs,
Sydney
No comments:
Post a Comment