Cats is one of those shows that receives a lot of flack. Some even started a campaign against the revival after its return announcement. I had a theatre professor who claimed it was the "worst show ever," and even had someone apologize to me when I said I was going to see it.
But I have always had a soft spot for this show for many reasons:
1) I am a cat person through and through so anything involving cats is a yes from me.
2) Cats definitely takes advantage of the Aristotelian element of spectacle. The costumes, the set and, of course, the dancing is fascinating to me. It is unlike anything else I have ever seen live and I appreciate the commitment to looking and acting like cats as humanly possible. Also, when is someone going to release the Cats workout regimen because it would definitely whop me into shape.
3) The music. The music. The music. As I sat in the dark mezzanine of the Neil Simon Theatre listening to the first notes of the overture, I was covered in goosebumps and could not stop from smiling, bouncing in my aisle seat. Andrew Lloyd Webber knows what he is doing and I could not contain my excitement as each song changed (My favorite song is "Macavity," by the way.)
The revival of Cats blew me away and I was so sad to see it close just a few days ago. If you were able to see it, consider yourself lucky. It is truly an important part of the theater that need not be forgotten. Never let the memory fade.
Break Legs,
Sydney

No comments:
Post a Comment