The plays I received and read include God of Carnage by Yasmina Reza, Agnes of God by John Pielmeier, The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh, Crimes of the Heart by Beth Henley and Really Really by Paul Downs Colaizzo.
Each was special for different reasons and had an impact on me. Here is what I thought of each play.
1) God of Carnage by Yasmina Reza
This play received a lot of buzz when it made its Broadway debut in 2009, detailing a conversation between two sets of parents discussing a playground fight between their sons. This "civil" meeting turns ugly as the parents act worse than the children in question and quickly spirals out of control.
It is a quick read, but don't think you won't feel anything. The tension during most scenes is so thick and I felt a rollercoaster of emotions. I was angry, confused, understanding and sometimes even felt myself growing confrontational, wanting to jump into the play and slap some sense into these parents.
2) Agnes of God by John Pielmeier
Taking a darker turn, Agnes of God is about a psychiatrist brought in to interview a young nun accused of killing her newborn baby.
I did not know much about this play, but the summary intrigued and I am glad I read it. It kept me guessing as to who-dun-it and every time I thought I figured it out, new dialogue would cast doubt in my mind. If you are looking for a play that truly makes you think, this one is for you.
3) The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh
After a string of child murders closely linked to one man's stories, he is interrogated for the crimes. Detailed retellings of the stories add to the eerie tone of this play.
I am a huge horror fan so I was excited to dive into The Pillowman. I could not put this play down. Katurian's stories enthralled me and wondering if he was going to make it out alive kept me turning pages. The twist that comes in the middle of the play keeps the plot moving and adds another dimension to the already addicting story. I'm going to admit, this play gave me nightmares but I highly recommend it to any mystery or horror fan.
4) Crimes of the Heart by Beth Henley
A true American classic, three sisters reunite to help the youngest after she shoots her husband. All three realize that what they really need in life is each other.
I performed a scene from this play in a drama class in high school and I always wanted to read the whole thing, wondering what happened to each sister. This three-act play beautifully tells the story of three sisters coming to terms with how their lives have gone and working together to find true meaning. While the play did not answer all of my questions, I found closure in the sisters' relationship, knowing that the would be alright if they stuck together,
5) Really Really by Paul Downs Colaizzo
After a college party gone wrong, many students are left questioning what really happened behind a closed bedroom door.
Being a women and gender studies minor, I was instantly drawn to this play. While it starts out slow, the mystery of who is telling the truth drew me in. Colaizzo does a great job of creating flawed characters who propel the story and accurately portray what can happen after a rape allegation on a college campus. The ending infuriated me for many reasons, but I won't give anything away.
If you are looking for a new play or plays to add to your shelf or reading list, I recommend you check out any of the plays above.
Break Legs,
Sydney

No comments:
Post a Comment