![]() |
| I was all dressed up and ready to go on as the glamorous Reno Sweeney. Photo Credit: Gabby Glanville |
I never got too upset each time a show closed because I knew that there would be another one right around the corner. Except my last show in high school was different. I knew that I would be giving theatre up for a while to pursue my college degree. I didn't feel like I could pursue journalism and theatre at the same time. I had to make a choice and I went with the practical one.
After playing Meg Giry in a play version of Phantom of the Opera and directing a one-act play my senior year, I prepared myself to conquer the musical Anything Goes. I wanted to play Reno Sweeney more than anything and knew that I could go out with a bang on this role.
I busted my butt in auditions and callbacks but still had a sleepless night before the cast list went up. That morning I hesitantly approached the theatre board and looked for my name.
My best friend yelled, "You got it!"
It took a few minutes for me to process that my name was next to "Reno Sweeney" on the list.
I did it. I got the ultimate role to go out on.
Rehearsals were far more strenuous than I thought, but I told myself that I wasn't going to complain because that role was what I wanted.
Before I knew it, it was opening night and everything went great. The second night went just as well. But when I left the theater after the second night I noticed my voice was scratchy, but I attributed it to fatigue.
I woke up early the next morning for a two-show day, a matinee and closing, and realized I had no voice.
I panicked.
How was I supposed to do a musical without a voice?
I pushed myself harder than I ever have that matinee and luckily for the last show, everyone had time to throw backup vocals together and help me out so I didn't permanently damage my voice.
When I walked out of the ship for my last curtain call ever on my high school stage, my cast cheered and yelled for me, and I lost it in front of a full house. Everything from the past few days hit me hard.
I will never forget that moment and the opportunity to play such a great and famous role. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't miss it.
Break Legs,
Sydney

No comments:
Post a Comment