![]() |
| Grease Live! premiered on Jan. 31 on FOX. Photo Credit: Variety |
I was very excited when NBC announced in 2013 that they would do a live version of The Sound of Music starring Carrie Underwood. My excitement waned as I watched it. The same thing happened with Peter Pan and even The Wiz. For some reason, these productions seemed a little awkward and too focused on the big name cast as the star.
I was worried that FOX was going to ruin one of my favorite musicals and movies. I had full faith in the cast but I heard that they were going to re-write the script and add a new song along with adapting many others.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The cast was amazing and performed the show very well. The live audience was a great touch too, something NBC has not caught onto yet.
I remember watching each NBC live musical and cringing each time a joke was made or a big song ended and there was complete silence. It's weird and makes everyone at home feel awkward. FOX obviously observed this and added an audience to their cast.
One thing that these two networks do not have to fight over though is how they are exposing America to the gift that is live theatre. Many people cannot get to New York or afford to see shows whether they are in their community or on tour, so broadcasting them gives viewers the chance to experience the magic.
I did not love everything about Grease Live! though. I did not like Frenchy's new song. I understand why the producers added it to the show but it did not fit and it seemed to go on forever. It was a nice transition into "Beauty School Dropout," however I think the show could have just gone straight into the song.
There were also a lot of sound issues that an NBC musical never had. It was probably because of it was FOX's first time doing a musical, but these issues definitely took away from some of the big numbers of the show.
Grease Live! is my favorite live musical produced for television for many reasons. FOX outdid themselves with it and this is the first time that I actually want to but the DVD of the show.

No comments:
Post a Comment