![]() |
| Cell phones are taking over the theater. Photo Credit: Movie Buzzers |
I remember hearing this announcement multiple times when I was waiting behind the stage curtain, waiting to perform. But, of course, many people did not, which then affected the way our microphones and sound system worked.
Also, when I tried my hand at directing, I remember watching people from the balcony text and play games on their phones, and completely ignore the show. It's offensive, but even more heartbreaking.
Many people have now been caught in the audience of a Broadway show texting or even making phone calls, right in front of the performers.
It is downright rude and disrespectful and needs to stop.
Many Broadway stars have been very vocal against audience members who use their phones during a performance.
In the middle of the show Violet, Sutton Foster stopped the musical number and simply said "We'll wait" to an audience member on their phone.
Patti LuPone, the always vocal and vivacious performer, actually stopped the show to snatch a cell phone from a woman in the audience.
LuPone said that she was texting during the entire first act of her show, Shows for Days, and had had enough. An usher later returned the phone.
Even worse, during a performance of Hand to God, an audience member jumped onstage to try and charge his phone.
This is just utterly ridiculous.
While our lives may revolve around our phones, the performers' lives revolve around the theater and whatever show they are in.
No audience member can even begin to comprehend the amount of work that goes into just one scene of a show. All that hard work is overshadowed when someone decides to just play on their phone during the performance.
I am happy that many performers are fighting back and voicing their anger, but they shouldn't have to.
Put your phone away for two hours and enjoy the show. I promise it won't kill you.
Break Legs,
Sydney

No comments:
Post a Comment