I love tours of Broadway shows. I live in Maryland which is about a three and a half to four-hour drive to New York, plus I go to school in North Carolina. It is not alway easy to get to New York to see a show plus ticket prices can be outrageous.
That is why I love tours. They bring the magic of Broadway to the entire country. But, many people see them as less than the actual show from when it was on Broadway. I'm here to disprove that.
1) The original writers and directors are in on it
When a show announces that it is going on tour, the director, writer, choreographer, etc. all work on the tour to get the tour actors ready and to make sure it is as close to the original as possible. While a show may have to be changed a little to make it easily moveable, it is the same quality as a Broadway show.
2) The actors and crew have it harder
Can you imagine having to live out of a suitcase for a year, move around every week and still have to rehearse and perform one to two times a day? Well, that is what the tour cast and crew have to do. Tours can last for years, like The Phantom of the Opera tour has. It is not easy to constantly be flying or driving and then performing.
3) Tours allow people to experience live theater
Like I said before, tours bring Broadway magic to everyone across the country. For example, I saw A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder on Broadway right after it won the Tony Award for Best Musical. A year later, I saw it on tour in Durham and loved listening to the audience's reactions and then talking to the people sitting around me about it. For one, the tour was just like the Broadway show. Secondly, the audience was delighted to see such a great show, especially since New York is over 10 hours away from here.
While the tour of a show doesn't usually feature the Broadway stars, it doesn't mean that it isn't good. So, if a show is coming to your town, but a ticket and enjoy a night at the theater.
No comments:
Post a Comment