Friday, March 11, 2016

Why You Should See "The Last Five Years"

The Last Five Years.
Photo Credit: Sh-K-Boom Records

When I say that you should go and watch The Last Five Years, I do not mean the movie with Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan.  While good, the movie does not capture the true essence of the show.  I mean to find a live production and experience the theater.  If all else fails, just listen to the original or revival cast album, or both.

The Last Five Years tells the story of Cathy and Jamie's failed relationship that spanned five years.  The cool thing is that Cathy starts from the end of the relationship with the couple's divorce and moves backward while Jamie starts at the beginning of the relationship and moves forward.  The two intersect at their wedding.

I love getting asked what my favorite show is because I do not have to think about it.  I quickly say The Last Five Years.  This show is so special to me and here is why it should be to you, too.

1) Jason Robert Brown is amazing

Jason Robert Brown wrote the entire show and based it off of his own divorce, giving it true feeling and emotion.  Ending a relationship is not easy, but Brown makes it heart-wrenching for even the audience.  His lyrics show us how in love this couple really is, making their demise even harder to watch and to listen to.  He is also a piano prodigy, providing us with amazing music.

2) It Takes You on a Journey

The show takes audiences through Cathy and Jamie's entire whirlwind romance with its highs and lows.  It is something that not a lot of shows do.  I had the opportunity to see the revival of this show in New York in 2013 and I was completely blown away.  I already knew the show like the back of my hand and could recite every song lyric verbatim, but there is something about seeing it live that is different.

3) It's Real

Almost all of us can relate to having our hearts broken and not knowing what to do next.  This show does not present a fantasy world where everything is perfect and the two leads end up with each other and live happily ever after. Spoiler: They both end up very unhappy. While it is nice to be taken away from the real world for a couple of hours, sometimes audiences need something that they can immediately relate to.

4) It's Intimate

The Last Five Years cast is only comprised of two people: Cathy and Jamie.  This is not some big show with 50 cast members and big, flashy dance numbers and costumes.  It is usually a bare set with two people singing about real things.  No glitz, glamor or sparkle.

If you see a local production of The Last Five Years or if it (hopefully) comes back to New York, I highly recommend seeing it.

Break Legs,
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment